Mike wrote:

> On this example, I noticed that all of the mounting holes on the
> handle/tripod mount had been helicoiled (reinforced with steel)
> which is usually done as a repair after the original thread has
> been stripped.  As the handle is alloy, I would not be suprised
> if this had happened.

No. It comes like this from the factory.

>The permanently attached hood took two of us to
> unscreww and then extend and lock.  As it appears to be alloy,
> this could be a significant problem with expansion/contraction
> due to temperature variation.

I haven't noticed any temperature related problems although the hood is fiddly. Mine
tends to jam and I eventually broke the fastenings screws for the front section of the
lens so that the whole section moved when I tried to screw/unscrew the hood. I
eventually got it fixed. Don't use force on the hood!

> Fiddling a bit more, I discovered a focus limiter.  This would
> be quite useful as, if one misses one's subject whislt aimed at
> the sky, the focus racks through its full gamut.  Unfortunately,
> this seemd to be only able to work with manual focus.

No. It works with AF as well.

Pål