On 26 Jul 2002 at 13:44, Jose R. Rodriguez wrote:

> I have the K50mm f/1.2 instead of the A50mm f/1.2 (same optical formula).  Even
> though other Pentax 50mm lenses may be capable of higher resolution than my
> K50mm f/1.2, I have become quite fond of the "look" the photos this lens
> produces (nice bokeh, great color, and excellent resolution..).
>
> I feel they are much nicer than the photos I shot with my M50mm f/1.4.

This sort of comment comes up again and again, I don't wish to sound like a
broken record but the differences between the resolution of the Pentax 50mm
f1.2 and f1.2 lenses is pretty much academic. The absolute resolution
difference is only tens of line pairs per mm when the lenses are critically
focussed on a planar target.

<big theoretical speculation>

Herein lies the issue, the DOF is so much more shallow on the 1.2 lens that all
visible objects outside the absolute plane of focus are more quickly rendered
soft hence the apparent feeling that the lens is softer. Just to further the
theory my perception of sharpness and DOF from my A50f2.8 Macro is far more
critical than I would normally expect from a short f2,8 lens, I expect that it
seems this way since the actual plane of focus is so sharp and that the focal
plane is flatter than non-corrected lenses.

This leads me to the other point concerning the f1.2 lenses, it appears that
they aren't at all well spherically corrected ie the plane of focus is not so
much a plane but covers a spherical field. The slower the lens the less this
effect is apparent therefore the f1.4 and f1.7 lenses suffer less spherical
distortion and provide a different rendering of the same scene regardless of
absolute sharpness.

</big theoretical speculation>

Well as the owner of 4 Pentax 50f1.2 lenses that's my bigoted take on it, I'd
be happy to be corrected :-)

To see the visual effect of a very fast lens with no spherical correction see
the following Noctilux (50f1) and Summilux 75 (f1.4) images produced
by Rei a member of the LUG (Leica Users Group):

http://www.shinozuka-family.com/200110autumnlux1/

and most specifically:

http://www.shinozuka-family.com/200110autumnlux2/kittyleaves4.jpg
http://www.shinozuka-family.com/200110autumnlux2/tedkitleaves2.jpg

PS I do also own a Noctilux and various other Pentax 50mm lenses so I have
engaged in comparisons.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA