David,

I've had lots of prints made from slides.  The only time I was sorely
disappointed was when the Fuji Pictrostat process was used.  And the
reply was similar.  I believe there is not much control of it.

I have usually used an outfit in Denver called The Slideprinter.  They
use a direct process and do pretty good work at a very reasonable
price.  If they have a problem with a slide it is usually due to
excessive contrast.

Nowadays, the printing machines (Fuji Frontier, Agfa D-Lab) have
attached scanners and they actually print digitally but with a wet
print process.  When operated correctly, they do a good job.  If you
can find a lab with one of those, you would be much better off.

My opinion of the Epson 2450 scanner was that MF scanning was also not
that good.  I'm sure the smaller 35mm neg looks even worse, but I
found that the MF stuff wasn't as sharp as a wet print or a high-res
scan from my lab.  Boy do I have a hankerin' for a reasonable priced
MF film scanner!

Bruce