For my money, this holding of focus while zooming out is how zooms are supposed to
work.  Vivitar made some good lenses that were 'Vara-focal' and not true zooms that
maintain focus as you zoomed.  I understood that relaxing that requirement was what
let them get better performance.
Regards,  Bob S.