In a message dated 8/9/2002 6:07:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> If Pentax doesn't introduce new Limited lenses in September I'm dumping my
> >MZ-S and Spotmatic and switching to the Leica M-system.  VERY unhappy with
> >Pentax's LACK of follow-up on the exceptional 31mm, 43mm & 77mm Limited
> >lenses!

I don't get it.

Some, if not most of those "plastic" Pentax lenses are easily capable of work
that's on the same plane as their Leitz equivalents. (Yes, I've used several
of them.) Especially in the hands of an experienced photographer who exploits
the strengths and avoids the weaknesses in the system.

Also: I thought that the 43ltd was followed up by the 77 which was followed
up by the 31 ... and then there was the MZ-S, which may not be quite up to
the standard set by the limited lenses - but it is getting much closer with
its metal body....

The Leica is a very fine system, but for many photographic purposes an SLR is
simply a better tool. Now I would "get it" if you said you were switching to
an R8....

I've shot with a Leica my rangefinder for not quite 30 of my 39 years. It's
like camping, no AE, no AF, back to basics, etc - it makes me feel good, and
I love using the camera my great grandfather used. And I know that the Leica
system is capable of fantastic results. I'm glad I learned on it. But I
mostly use a Pentax when I simply want to make photographs. I go places and
do things with my cameras where I wouldn't want a beautiful and incredibly
expensive M7+35/2 asph. around my neck. I simply don't need that "much" to
get a great photographic result. I know I can get results that are
indistinguishable or even better (since I would be willing to put them in
harm's way) with my MZ5 and a "plastic" 35/2 FA...

I simply don't understand the attitude expressed in your statement.

But good luck anyway!

Chris L.