----- Original Message -----
From: gfen
Subject: Re: Most Used Body Survey Results UPDATE 17

> Have you ever compared it to a Shen Hao? I was giving thought
to both of
> them for awhile, and the SHen has better movements, while the
Tachihara is
> about a pound and a half lighter.

The Shen Hao wasn't being made when I bought the Tachihara. From
what I was able to glean from the web, it looks like a nice
product.
When I bought, the choices were pretty much Wista, Wisner, Zone
VI, and Tachihara for wood field cameras. The Tachihara gives up
a lot of features compared to the 3 cameras mentioned, but it
was a lot less expensive.
Make sure the wood in the Shen Hao is hardwood (one website
mentioned teak, but that was a consumer review, so who knows if
it is), and a hardwood suited to camera building. Also, make
sure that the wood has been dried naturally, not kiln dried, as
it will be more dimensionally stable.
I know a guy who bought some sort of made in China view camera
some years ago. The thing was made of spruce, and it wasn't
dimensionally stable.
William Robb