On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, David Brooks wrote:

> I told her i have had scratched film before but
> have never 'erased pictures'.I drove over to
> the 1 hour place in town i used and told the
> story to them(both are serious ameutur/semi pro
> photo people)and they looked at me like i had 2
> heads.
> They seem to think they proccessed it wrong and
> are duping a newbie,my thinking exactly.
>
> Comments?????????????/
>
> Dave

The store admitting that they did something wrong
is rather unusual.

In my experience, the store would say your sister
must've given them an unexposed roll.  As to the
scratch, it couldn't be their fault either, because
your sister must've run it thru a bad camera without
exposing it.  There are tons of ways to make the
customer feel stupid, why should they accept any
blame?

Two years ago, I had 2 negatives reprinted for 8x12
at Costco.  The prints are OK, but both negs were badly
bent thru the middle.  What's most amazing is the
notes that came back with each negative, both had
this item checked on them, saying the negatives were
damaged BY CUSTOMER!

Did it help to tell them I brought in good negatives?
Did it help to say their technicians were clearly lying?
Did it help to say I know enough about photography to
know the difference of a good and damaged negative?

After much ado, I ended up paying for the reprints
(otherwise I get only the damaged negs back), a
compensation in the form of a free roll of film
(worth 2 bucks), and the advice, also free, that
I should never bring valuable photos to Costco.

Tonghang.