-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 9:44 AM

Those of you who've met me know that I'm an amateur/hobbyist at this.
You also know I use the Pentax LX for my SLR currently.

Well, on Saturday afternoon, I was out at the much touted (and sold out I
might add) Toronto Beer Festival.  It was quite nice and there was a lot of
fun and it wasn't too hot so everything sort of worked out nicely for those
in attendance.

I was walking around snapping some shots with the LX and the Vivitar 283
with the Lumiquest bouncer - using the flash for fill and under some of the
canopies that were set up (I had Pan F in the camera). I also had a lowepro
"reporter" bag slung over my shoulder with the usual suspects of lenses -
19mm and 90mm; having the 50mm on the LX.

Most of the booths that I walked up to took one look at the flash with the
lumiquest bouncer and immediately asked if I was with the "press" or
"media". This was never asked when I did not have the flash on the camera.
Other comments included things like "whoa .. that's some camera you got
there!" but this was again, due to the bouncer and 283 being on the camera.

Is it due to the 283 and bouncer that people felt that I may have been a
press photographer ?  The 283 @ 90degrees and the bouncer on top added
significant height to the LX and that made it far more pronounced.
It made me ponder this because NO ONE mentioned or asked why I wasn't using
a N*k*n or C*n*n camera.  They also never mentioned "wow!! a Pentax!!"...
just sort of made me think that perhaps it's not so much about the actual
gear but the perception that it gives off.

Meandering On A Monday,
Dave

Dave,

        It is all perception, from my experience.  I get the same whenever I have
the handle-mount flash, or a couple of cameras on me, or use a monopod ...

        Anything out of the ordinary will get their attention.  Most people don´t
react too much to brand name.  They know Nikon and Canon because of all the
advertising.  But they never look at me differently once they learn it is a
Pentax I am using.

        But maybe subconciously they know an LX is the epitome of photography :- )

                César
                Panama City, Florida