On 13 Aug 2002 at 15:15, Mishka wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have just tried to scan a BW (TMax 3200) film, and it seems that
> leaving the digital ICE (this is Nikon 4000ED scanner) turns the scans
> to literally, black and white (and almost no any intermediate greys)!
> Switching IR cleaning off turns the pictures back to normal. Any ideas
> of what may go on? Does silver absorb all the IR making scanner thing
> that there's nothing but dirt?
>
> Oh man! If the Nikon software is that stupid, I am officially pissed.

Hi Mishka,

ICE is licenced third party software if I'm not mistaken and also I believe
that it doesn't work with Kodakchome or conventional B&W film as you
discovered. I believe it has to do with IR absorption of the silver compounds
like you guessed, chromogenic C-41 based B&W emulsions should be OK with ICE.

You're better off to clean your film properly before scanning and not rely on
software that destroys sharpness in any case.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110