----- Original Message -----
From: "Knut Kampe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: Digital vs.FILM: will digital cameras lose the war?

> At 09:44 29.08.02 -0500, you wrote:
> >alled base of jpg/tiff et al is huge.  We'll be able to
> >read that for at least as long as your slides last!
> >
> >As to the physical format, who cares?   Any collection of pictures can be
> >moved around a network as devices move to higher densities
>
> I don't dispute that jpg/tiff might be readable in 100 years. But the
media
> on which these images are stored today, might not be readable in 20 years.
> Magnetically stored data will definitely not last > 20 years. Most of the
> floppys I used 10 years ago are no longer readable today. Hard disks are
> similar. I'm not sure about discs, but I believe lifetime is in the range
> of ~50 years for them.

I keep my images on a RAID system, so individual disk life is a non issue.
Any critical data is handled this way.    Think about all the
companies/institutions/etc. that need to keep data for long peroids of time.
There are systems to do this, and the data is 100% preserved.

> You will need to constantly "mantain" your picture library, copy it to new
> media etc. to keep your images. This is already problematic for some
> formats: jpg for example loose some quality every time they are copied as
> far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Wrong.   You get a perfect digital copy each time.

-R