Thanks!

My cameras are all manual rewind and I don't rewind in the middle of a roll
anyway; but do sometimes get the leader in when I'm in a hurry. This is a
pain because I load my reels directly from the casette in the darkroom and
am so used to doing this that I find handling a loose piece of film very
annoying. Its easy to get your fingers all over it - if it doesn't go in
perfectly the first time.

It looks like it should work. I don't have a roll to try it on now but I
guess I will have one day. I've been visualising the process and realise
that the distance you put the strip in, is critical. If you shove it in too
far you could get the tape stuck to some other part of the roll. It might
also be advisable, after the leader has stuck, to roll back a bit further,
pressing the tape firmly against the leader, to make sure it has a good
hold. I've cut a card, of the kind you suggested, to the same width as a
leader and will keep it handy.

Dr E D F Williams

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery