From: Heiko Hamann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, 2 September 2002 7:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: E-Bay Question

Hi Shaun,

on 02 Sep 02 you wrote in pentax.list:

>It is just an observation I made, and I do not wish to pick on our
>German colleagues, however, it has me intrigued. Perhaps one of kind
>German friends has the answer?

Shipping with the "Deutsche Post" might be expensive, but it is
possible. And as far as the buyer pays the shipping, I wouldn't have a
problem selling overseas...

The actual price list says:

"Postpaket international" (up to 4KG):

Zone 1 (EU, Poland, Switzerland, Slovakia, Czech R.):   15,50 Euro
Zone 2 (rest of Europa)                                 25,00 Euro
Zone 3 (North America, Northern Africa, Near East):     28,00 Euro
Zone 4 (rest of the world):                             34,50 Euro

As far as I understand it, the insurance of the standard post parcel
("Postpaket") is insufficient. So you should add "Luftpost Service"
(i.e. air mail), as this service includes an insurance up to 500,00
Euro. Unfortunately it costs 19,00 Euro extra. There might be a cheaper
way, as the price list mentions a service "Wert international". This
should be an insurance for a standard international parcel up to 500,00
Euro and costs 5,00 Euro extra. Each further 100,- Euro insurance costs
1,00 Euro.

So the cheapest way to ship something to Australia (insured up to 500,00
Euro) costs 34,50+5,00= 39,50 Euro. Faster should be air mail:
34,50+19,00= 53,50 Euro.

Besides shipping and insurance the money transfer might be difficult. As
credit cards are not as common as in America (and Australia?), Paypal
won't work for the most Germans. If you send a cheque, the banks will
take high fees from the seller (afair 10,00 Euro and more). The most
accepted method would be a money transfer to the account of the seller.
This should be easy and quite cheap in the EU but I don't know how the
situation is in the rest of the world.

All in all it is quite expensive and uncomfortable. Banking and
logistics still haven't caught up with e-commerce. If you have any
further questions or a specific problem regarding a German-overseas
transaction, feel free to contact me.

Regards, Heiko

(Germany)