Hi, Steven.
First, it is a hazard to use Cokin P on lenses with >77mm filter diameter.
The reason is simple. If you measure the diameter on inside of the Cokin P
holder, it's 75mm. I know it is proclaimed to work with some lenses of
larger diameters, but don't count on it. It produce detectable vignetting
with lenses like 645A*300/4, 645A45/2.8, FA*400/5.6 and to some extent on
FA*24/2 and FA20/2.8.

I know, why put a filter on a 400, but a gradual gray comes in handy
sometimes anyway.

Its is true as has been said about the cokins that they can change colour
over time. My gradual gray (G2) give a slight green cast, and recently I
discovered my pola to give a blue-greyish tint. They're both in line for the
thrashcan as soon as I can have them replaced.

The big advantage of Cokins is availability and price. Btw, Cokin also
produce a filter series larger than the P. But more pricey of course.

You mentioned Singh-Ray; other brands are Lee and Tiffen.
http://www.leefilters.com/
http://www.tiffen.com/

Best,
Jostein