IMHO - I gotta put in my vote for an inexpensive film scanner over any
sort of flatbed. I have an HP S20xi for 35mm and an HP 7400c with trans
adapter for medium format. The S20 simply works better/faster. It's
worth the extra $200 over the Epson flatbed. Get a cheap flatbed to scan
larger prints. Scanning most any print at over 600 dpi is pretty much a
waste of bandwidth. The S20 does a fine job scanning any print up to
5x7at 300dpi. I need a Polaroid 120 for medium format and I'll be set.
Between flatness issues, newton rings, fingerprints, and dust, scanning
film on a flatbed is about as fun as dental work.... (these are still
issues with film scanners, just less so.)

Just my .02...

Regards,

Chris L.
School Publications Guy