So in conclusion to my query, I did a bit more research and got
an Epson 1660 Photo. It cost $30 more than the Canon 1250U2F, but
it is much better.

Advantages of the Epson over Canon:
1. Can scan up to 6 frames at once
2. No manually moving the frames in the negative holder
3. Sharper negative scans
4. 3200x1600 scans vs. 2400x1200 for Canon

Advantages of Canon over Epson:
1. More compact- very thin
2. Consumes less power
3. Longer life w/ an LED array vs. cold-cathode lamp?
4. TWAIN driver is faster, better designed than Epson's

HP was out because I couldn't find the 5370 that people mentioned,
the 5400 did not have a transparency adapter (it is optional),
the 5500 is much more expensive and anything lower-line (like the 3570)
has less resolution and seemingly less capable. I also couldn't figure
out the model lines- there are so many HP scanners out there, depending
on which store you go to there are different models or so it seems.

Now this is definitely no substitute for a real film scanner but I'm
hoping this will be more than sufficient to proof negatives before
printing,
esp. enlargements. I'm hoping my shots of the '62 Ferrari GTO will come
out
as good or better than the BMW 3.5 CSL, which might be a keeper (at
least
up to 5x7").

Taka