My father had a Contaflex II that a friend of him brougth back from
Germany in 1957 I think (the year I was born).  At about 13 I began
to take some photos with it, mostly when we were out for camping.
Almost ten years later, I wanted something mine and different, and I
bought a Canonet GIII QL 17 in a small artisanal photographers shop.
I remember a customer telling me the lens had such an aperture that I
would be able to take photos of the moon.  I still ask myself "what's
the point" (pun... the point on the negative...).

A few years later, while talking with a hometown friend obviously
knowing what he was talking about, I remember he declared that a
Pentax MX would be about the best think I could buy if I wanted to
have a SLR.  A few months later I saw 2 cheap Pentax lenses in Mexico
(28mm & 135mm) and bought them as my mind was set on the MX.  I got
the MX body while visiting  New York 2 months later and a 50mm 1.4
from the same place I got the Canonet, just before they closed (they
were doing their 35mm work with Leica and Pentax and had great prices
from Pentax Canada).

I have stayed with Pentax ever since.  Well, I tried a C*n*n T-90 +
Angénieux 35-70 lately but found the kit uneasy to handle in low
light situations.  I am used to big Pentax K-series primes lenses now
and think I would loose time learning to use another kit, even the
MZ-S I acquired recently and, yes, again, that I want to sell or
exchange.

The MX is a great hiking camera.  The LX is a great camera.  Pentax,
my dear friend...

Andre