Okay. I'll join in here, but will leave out the cameras before the first
Pentax. If I were to include them it would take several pages, there are at
least forty of them.

In April 1982 my family and I were preparing to leave SA for good. We'd
finally had enough of the government and Apartheid. I took some equipment to
a dealer in Cape Town. There was an Arriflex, a Nagra recorder, microphones,
a projector and other stuff. I told them what I wanted for the lot and that
I would not bargain. While the manager and a couple of others were
discussing the matter, my wife and I wandered around the showroom. We saw a
couple of new Pentax ME Supers in a showcase. I examined one and found it
rather nice. So after I'd got the cheque for my stuff I bought the little
camera, with a 50mm f1.7 SMC M, and a few rolls of film. All my other
equipment was by that time in a container on the Atlantic heading for
Helsinki.

I took some pictures on the way but then didn't use the little camera for
years. A few winters ago someone asked me to take pictures of sledge dog
racing. I went along with my Alpa and the mirror stuck up. It was cool,
around -20C. That did it. I went home and got the Pentax. That seemed to
work until I saw the results - under-exposed. The camera had been lying
around for so long the contacts, that everyone knows so much about, had to
be cleaned. I did that and went back a week later. Then it worked. I sold
the Alpa on eBay, with all it's lenses, for an enormous sum. It didn't break
my heart. I had been enslaved to Alpa for 30 years. A famous Swiss camera
that doesn't like the cold? Ridiculous isn't it?

The next one was a used P30 I happened to see in shop window in Jyväskylä,
by chance, about two years ago. I went in and bought it - with a Takumar
Zoom. A week later I saw a Vivitar 135mm/F3.5. I did a bit of checking and
decided it was good. I bought it. Finally I saw, on eBay, new in the box, a
P30T and bought that. I got more (new) lenses on eBay. The Pentaxes are
reliable, work in the cold (-32C so far) and don't break down. I do have a
Bronica SQ-A as well and it's the best 6x6 I've ever used.

But honestly I don't give a black baboons backside who makes the cameras I
use as long as they do what I need. These ones do. They are simple and
reliable. I like the ME for it's 1/2000 shutter speed (long telephoto shots)
but otherwise it's the two other simple cameras I use. I suppose I like
simplicty from my many years of experience with Alpa.

If a camera does not annoy you. If you have confidence that its going to do
the job. If you can focus accurately. If the shutter works properly and the
film advances in a solid body without trouble. If it feels comfortable in
your hands ... and you don't have to fumble for controls ... its okay. The
lenses are the vital part of the system. Find the lens you want to use then
get a camera to which it can be attached.

By the way there is a lens I would like to have. It's not made by Pentax.
When I buy it I'll need a body to fit. It won't be Pentax unless there is an
adapter, or one can be made.

Of course some jobs can be done better with an Auto Focussing system. Others
benefit from TTL measurement, motor drives, sophisticated exposure
measurment - LX and the newer bodies ... ad infinitum.

Don

Dr E D F Williams

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery