Michel Carrère-Gée <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>http://www.robertstech.com/pentax.htm
>Propose us to modify the M&K lens to permit the matrix metering
>Some what consists this modification  ?

To enable matrix metering on cameras that have it, the lens needs to tell the
camera its minimum and maximum apertures. This is achieved with a series of
conductive and non-conductive contacts in the lens mount flange that short out
(or do not short out) contacts in the lens mount of the camera. These are among
the 7 contacts in the lower left-hand section of the lens mount of the camera
which you can see when you remove the lens.

One of these contacts transmits digital data from autofocus lenses and is not
used for matrix metering.

Another one tells the camera if the lens is set to "A" for shutter priority or
program autoexposure; this one also has nothing to do with matrix metering.

The remaining 5 contacts are where the min/max aperture data necessary for
matrix metering are conveyed. On "A" series and later lenses, there are plastic
insulators in one or more of the positions corresponding to these five contacts.

If there's a plastic insulator, that contact is open. If there's no plastic
insulator (bare lens mount), the corresponding contact on the camera body is
shorted to ground. The pattern of which ones are grounded and which aren't tells
the camera body what the maximum possible aperture is for the lens (and also
what the minimum aperture is). On a 50mm f1.4 there's only one insulator and on
a 400mm f5.6 there are four. A 20mm f4.0 and a 300 f4.5 both have three, but in
different arrangements.

This is the information that allows matrix metering to work.

Basically, I drill a slight divot in the flange of the lens mount at each
position that needs to be insulated, corresponding to the pattern appropriate
for the lens in question. Then I put a drop of epoxy paint in the divot. It's a
very simple procedure, but it requires that getting the divots in just the right
locations. I've built a jig that allows me to get them exactly where they belong
with a minimum of fuss. As a measure of my confidence in the procedure, the
first lens I tried it out on was my K-series 15mm f3.5 and I'm very happy with
how it's worked out; I find matrix metering especially useful with wide angle
lenses.

If you ever want to restore the lens to its original condition, all you have to
do is replace the lens mount flange, which anyone can do with a couple of
jewelers screwdrivers. I think the plain k-mount flange is still available from
Pentax, but even if it's not there are millions of M50/2.0 lenses that can be
had for a few dollars to become parts donors.

You can email me dirctly, but you'll have to sign up for Hotmail or some other
free email address because wanadoo.fr is blacklisted form my domain because of
extensive spam problems.

--
Mark Roberts
www.robertstech.com