Precisely!  It would be bordering on suicide for Pentax to abandon their
compatibility to go digital.  The only reason many people are holding
out from switching brands is the hope that they wont have to replace all
their glass.  If Pentax were to let these people down, I bet most of
them would be lost for ever.  Pentax would also only have a small number
of lenses for the new digital mount and would have an even bigger
problem in that respect than Sigma have selling a mount which only
supports a limited range of lenses.  Sure this would change in time as
more and more lenses were released, but until then the camera wouldn't
sell well, and they could decide to pull the plug on the new mount if
the lose too much money.