On 26 Sep 2002 at 21:18, Bruce Rubenstein wrote:

> There has been a longish thread on a professional photographer's digital
> forum and their comments are similar: Digital must be treated like slide,
> and not print film when it comes to exposure - don't blow out the
> highlights. It's easy to check the histogram in the camera to make sure.
> Shadow detail is there, it just may need some PS help. Overall, the dynamic
> range is similar to print film, i.e. grater than slide film.

This has been my experience with digital also. My camera has three in-camera
contrast settings, the high contrast setting provides similar latitude to slide
and the lowest provides a very wide usable latitude.

The correlation with slide film behaviour is very easy to make since digital is
also a positive media. Slide film saturates (shows only base media) when it
gets too much light digital has no more bits to store the data (it clips).

Cheers,

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA