Doug Franklin wrote:
> I have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3218 (black, three section) that I use with a
> 3262 ball head....

Hi Dan,

Ditto -- I've got the same combination as Doug.  (I think the Manfrotto part
number for the monopod is 434B.)  I use mine in exactly the situation you
envision for your own use -- pictures of my grandchildren in school plays,
etc., shot from the audience.  Allows me to steady a K body and SMC-A
70-210/4 quite nicely, and doesn't have near the footprint of a tripod.  I
often shoot with just the pod and no head -- generally when shooting
outdoors -- but that restricts you to landscape-format shots.

Hope this helps.

Bill Peifer
Rochester, NY