----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: Single use camera
> I have to disagree here. If I'm going to spend whatever it costs to
develop
> film, I want it to be high quality. My daughter often uses a Samsung point
> and shoot camera we have around the house and whenever I develop the film
> wonder if I should just ditch the camera. (And this is a decent little
point
> and shoot.)If the conditions are perfect, the camera is capable of good
4x6
> pictures, but if flash is required the pictures usually begin to fall
apart.
> I can't imagine getting good pictures with a disposable loaded with 800
asa
> film. I recognize that everyone has different expectations of the film
they
> get back, but disposables are really scraping the bottom of the barrel for
> anyone who cares, in the least, about their photos.
>
> Vic

Hey Vic,

Well, the fact is they are a very popular camera.  Ever wonder why?  Well,
for one thing, the people buying them don't give a flying f**k about
cameras.  They just want pictures to record an event or whatever.  These
people also only care about getting 4x6 prints, they don't want 11x14
enlargements, they think grain is just sand, you have to step back a ways
from your level and see these things more realistically.  Do they care that
I own a Nikon F5 (I don't, but you get the meaning)?  Hell, do they even
know the cost or quality of it?  Doubtful.  It looks to them to be some
heavy, awkward, complicated instrument.  Here's an analogy or two:  When you
build a deck for your house, how do you level and space and measure things?
Hmmm....a cheap level, some string and a $2 measuring tape?  My dad and I
did.  What if you were in the surveying business (I have a close family
member that owns such a company).  How would they build or plan a deck?
With weird looking equipment (I've seen it done too)  If an engineer was
planning a deck, would he use plain graph paper a ruler and a pencil?  I do.
He doesn't he'd be using his AutoCAD system and go nuts. Some people just
want pictures, and they get them, and for the price, damned good.  My
brother happened to get ones that had Fugi Superia X-TRA 800.  And like I
said, they were good.  These people don't care about DOF or any composition
rules and they don't want to know. What the *beep* are reciprocity laws?  A
legal term? :) They don't want to set an aperture or shutter speed.  If you
asked them simple questions about exposure (ie What IS exposure?) they
wouldn't be able to tell you the four basic components.  But when it comes
down to it, they have pictures and memories that look just fine to them.

So blah blah and so on, point is the people who buy disposable cameras think
we're nuts for spending gross sums of money for 'gadgets'.  Of course, we
are more serious about our work and far more critical.  That's fine. We call
ourselves, professionals, or artists, or serious amateurs.  Just like a
surveying crew or an engineer and their equipment.  However, Joe Blow just
wants a physical visual memory.  Hell, he's probably got his finger over the
flash when using it, or gets a thumb in there, probably chops off heads or
feet too.  They just are not like us.

Ahhh...anyhow, a long-winded response to a dumb subject anyhow :)  Looking
this over, I think it may come across as too strong or stinging, and if so,
I apologize Vic. not my intention.   I was just hoping I could convey
different points of view.  Ya, myself, the cameras are crappola...but the
naked sunbathers in Spain (the females :)) looked *damned* good in my
brothers pictures :)

Regards,

Brad Dobo