For everyday "just in case a picture pops up in front of me and needs
to be taken" carrying around, I don't take as much with me as I'd need
in order to really feel prepared.  There's at least a tripod (currently
two tripods and a monopod) in the trunk of my car, and I always have a
body and lens with me.  The lens is usually a 50 or 85, sometimes the
35-105/3.5, rarely the 70-210/4, and last night it was (unusually) a 24mm.
If I have a hunch that I might need a couple more options I'll bring a
second lens along and/or a flash.  Which body I carry depends on which is
closest to the door, which already has film in it, which I feel I haven't
used enough lately, and pure whim.  It's usually a K-mount, but the
Spotmatic and the older screwmounts come out to play sometimes too.

If I _plan_ to be shooting, it's a different ball game.  There are four
approaches I can take depending on what shooting environment I expect to
be in, how portable I have to be, and what gear I expect to need:

1) Throw two to four bodies and six or seven lenses in different lengths
(including a zoom or two) into a haversack.

2) Hang one body off my shoulder and grab the "everything but the
really long lenses and unusual stuff" bag.

3) All my K-mount gear and maybe the Spotmatic, in two bags, with a
couple of screwmount lenses and the M4->K adaptor in there too.

4) Both main bags plus the case of screwmount gear (including bellows),
the Nishika 3-D camera, and if I'm feeling paranoid, the Konica A3 as
well.

                                        -- Glenn