In a message dated 11/6/02 1:24:08 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Vic:

My Tokina 400mm did the same thing to me a few years ago when we

were in Kodachrome Basin.

I pulled the lens mount off and the aperture worked fine, so I

put the mount back on, and it has continued to work fine.

I don't know why.

I do know that if the lens has an A setting, I wouldn't be

pulling the mount off.

A series lenses have small explosive charges in them that

detonate when the mount is removed, sending small bits of

shrapnel like lens bits all over the place.

William Robb >>

Thanks William. I'm hoping it's not oil and maybe if you have had a similar
experience, it's not oil. Is it difficult to take the lens mount off. No,
It's not an A series lens....
Vic