I almost forgot...

In these days of electronic and plastic everything, I thought many of you
would be interested to know that the archaeology department where I am based
is an all Pentax affair. The technical officer has a brace of P3's and
lenses for fieldwork use for members of the department. For in-house or
in-field technical photography, the technical officer's use a pair of LX's
with a variety of lenses and finders. I was stunned when I found this
out...and they have had them forever.

Also, the best book ever published (Dorrell, 1994, see below) for
archaeological photography mainly features LX's for 35mm work. I know there
is at least one other archaeologist on this list, and now there's me...

Seems to me that archaeologists prefer Pentax...(we tend to like old things
I suppose). The obvious reasons that field workers would have liked the LX
are the body sealing and water resistance, and I would imagine this was sold
pretty hard to the like of archaeology departments. But then, 20 years
later, and the LX's area still ticking away quietly in the labs at La Trobe,
and they get plenty of use.

Cheers

Shaun Canning
PhD Student
Archaeology Department
La Trobe University, Bundoora,
Australia, 3086.

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: 0414-967 644

Dorrell, P. G. (1994) Photography in Archaeology and Conservation. Cambridge
Manuals in Archaeology. Cambridge University Press. Cambridge.