I have volunteered for three years in northern Belize on a Mayan site.  I
have also done a quick day-stint in Pensacola, Florida, even tried
underwater archaeology - the LX is always with me.

For the points you mentioned is why I cart them to the sites.  That, and I
know they can take the abuse.  I have broken them in by visiting various
sites around the world - beginning with Copan, Honduras.  Somewhere there
are shots, taken with one LX, of another sitting amongst the tools of the
trade.

The project in Belize used a Canon something or other.  And after the first
year when they saw the shots I had taken, the project director always looked
to me to take shots for her.  She openly commented how her husband's were
never quite up to snuff.  I did not want to mention my use of Pentax glass
:-)

So Shaun, though not my line of work, please do count me in as one who uses
them archaeologically.

César
Panama City, Florida