Hi Rob,

There is some dust inside this 200mm, so to the 1st one I returned. However, what concerns me is the scratches present behind the 1st element (on 2nd or 3rd I think). There are many of them in all different directions actually, not circular. It definitely looks like cleaned by hand. When the light was pointed from different angle, cleaning marks were revealed too (but totally invisible if if the light was point directly). This is my only brand new lens with so many scratches and cleaning marks. My 2ndhand F*300/4.5 has cleaning marks too, but not scratch. My brand new FA100/2.8 has 1 hairline scratch inside, but this 200 has a lot. All my other Pentax lenses are fine even after years of use. Since this is the 4th lens that I have tried recently (and all 4 are faulty), I think I am ready to give up and ask for a full refund. I have known there are qc problem with Pentax products for years, but I have never expected to be so unlucky. Looks like I won't be buying any Pentax lenses in the near future. :(

regards,
Alan Chan

I shone a halide desk-lamp through mine both ways, I'm now a little blind I
think however I did spy with my working eye heaps of dust boulders and one
small hair (which looked like a fungus filament but wasn't). However when I
view it under normal light it looks fine (and so do the images that it makes on
film).

I don't believe that many photo enthusiast spec lenses are delivered completely
free from dust even factory fresh (my new APO Leica lenses weren't) however
finger prints and wipe marks shouldn't be tolerated.

Are all your other lenses much cleaner than this 200?

Cheers,

Rob Studdert