I hear ya, but it doesn't have to be the photographer's pet.  I don't
know about other places, but around here, you can't walk down the street
without seeing someone walking a dog, cat (really!), ferret, parrot or
whatever.  Surely that would give rise to plenty of photo ops for those
who don't wait hand and foot on an animal in their home.  You could do
your pet (how bad does that sound? <vbg>) or someone else's...

regards,
frank

--
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist fears it is true." -J. Robert