In a message dated 11/20/2002 10:49:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, Pentxuser writes:

> Marnie the 50/2 is a fine lens, certainly better than the Albinar. You should
> see improved results. However, if your pictures are not as sharp as others in
> the class, I suspect it has more to do with technique than your lens and
> certainly, your camera. You can get just as sharp an image with the K1000 as
> you can with a top-of-the-line Nikon, Canon or Pentax.
> Other points to consider,
> 1) Are you using a tripod for most, if not every shot.
> 2) Are you maximizing the lens by shooting at or around F8 as opposed to
> using the lens wide open F2, F4 ....
> 3) Are you using a fine grain film ASA 50, 100, 200. If you are using ASA400
> or more, chances are this will help to soften the image.
>
> There are other reasons but these are probably the top three in order of
> importance. The use of a tripod is number one far ahead of
> importance than
> the second two...
>
> Vic

Well, yes, those are all factors and I plan to try those next.

I was comparing myself in class to some one using a Canon. And I am pretty sure most
of what she did was handheld too.

So what I was/am aiming for was raising my "baseline" (so to speak) to the best
quality I could get (for now) before proceeding to the next steps.

I was/am still using 200 print film. I've had two 8x10 blowups done for instance, and,
frankly, they look pretty good.

As I said in my previous ramblings, I wasn't totally sure how much was in my mind
because I am critical of my own shots.

But to get pictures as clear as John Shaw for instance (well, I doubt I will ever
become as good a photographer as him), I realize I probably have to use a slower speed
film and a tripod.

So I plan to start using my cheapo tripod more (watching the wind :-)). And I am
thinking about moving to slide film next year, maybe a lot of Fuji Velvia, for
instance.

Will have to see, no doubt it is more expensive and that is a factor that I am
thinking about.

But I think I've already "hit the wall" on the quality that print film can give me.

And I have questions on that, but I want to put some pictures together first and think
of how to word my questions.

So you'll be hearing more about that down the road.

I am glad to hear that I should see improvement for my baseline, though. Very glad.

Later, Doe aka Marnie :-)