>Precisely. Most of us don't actually take photos ~ at least regularly
>~ at the largest aperture. The prime benefit of a wider aperture is
>the brightness of the view thru the viewfinder!
>With later Pentaxes, the lens stays wide open for everything except
>the moment of the exposure.
>So, you'll find that almost every prime in the neighborhood of 50mm
>will give superior performance, especially if it's stopped down a
>couple of stops from wide open.

I'd agree with you Keith, but shooting portraits, there are many
occasions where I want to use absolute maximum aperture, for the minimal
depth of field. This pic illustrates the effect I adore:

http://www.macads.co.uk/snaps/portraits/images/pic19.html

Since I have sold my A*85 f/1.4, my widest lens is now a 50 1.7 on film -
worse f/2.8 shooting a digital. An f1.2 portrait lens would be coooool -
I realise I am in a good position (cost aside) with non-Pentax offerings
for digi, and when the Pentax DSLR is released, the latest and greatest
portrait lens will become the A50 f/1.2 - get one before the price jumps.
However, only for a while - when the full frame chips become the norm,
the 85mm f/1.4s will rule again...

.02,

Cotty

Free UK Macintosh Classified Ads at