Hi all,

I just finished looking over the slides from my 300mm lens test.  The
test was performed by photographing a building across a sports field, a
distance of perhaps 100 metres.  Tripod mounted LX with mirror locked up,
Kodak E100S film.  I have tested the LX and I know the focus accuracy is
spot-on.

The F*300mm f/4.5 is fantastic.  A real gem, ultra sharp and high
contrast even wide-open.  In fact its wide-open performance is very
impressive.  It handles really well even when manually focussing.  This
bit of glass is a real keeper and I certainly don't regret buying it.

In fact, this lens is optically better than the A*300mm f/4 I tested it
against. The difference is much less noticeable below about f/8 but when
wide open the difference is "chalk and cheese".  In fact I am strongly
considering selling the A* lens as I am not likely to need the extra 1/2-
stop enough to justify keeping it.

I am still a bit disappointed with the FA* 400mm f/5.6.  Mine just
doesn't seem to be a very good performer at near-infinity, although it is
better than the manual focus Tokina lens it replaced.  I will do some
more testing at closer distances.  However if I hold it "just right" I
can see what may be cleaning marks on an internal element (I purchased
this lens secondhand).  Maybe thats causing a bit of softness.  Would
other owners of this lens care to comment?

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/