Hi, Dave.

> The F*300mm f/4.5 is fantastic.  A real gem, ultra sharp and high
> contrast even wide-open.  In fact its wide-open performance is
> very  impressive.  It handles really well even when manually
> focussing.  This  bit of glass is a real keeper and I certainly
> don't regret buying it.

The F* 300/4.5 is indeed a real gem.  It is very sharp and
contrasty, even wide open.  And, the design of the built-in hood,
the presence of the removable tripod mount (even if its size is a
bit of an overkill), and its decent manual focus feel (for an
autofocus lens) make it a joy to use.

John M. said a while back that "The F* 300/4.5 is as sharp or
sharper at f4.5 than the M* 300/4 is at f5.6", and he was right.

> In fact, this lens is optically better than the A*300mm f/4 I
> tested it against. The difference is much less noticeable below
> about f/8 but when  wide open the difference is "chalk and
> cheese".  In fact I am strongly  considering selling the A* lens
> as I am not likely to need the extra 1/2- stop enough to justify
> keeping it.

Well, I have sold my M* 300/4 and one of the two A*/300/4's that I
had and have replaced them with F* 300/4.5's.  However, I still have
one A* 300/4.  Although not quite as sharp and although without
tripod mount, it still has its place - sometimes that half-stop (and
I think that it's only a third of a stop) can be important, and it
is a more compact lens to pack for traveling.  Plus, an ol' A* 300/4
"mushroom" is just so-o-o-o cute - <g>.

Fred