On 3 Dec 2002 at 21:27, Dan Scott wrote:

> Hey, just on a lark I looked at B&H, they do sell CF studio lights for
> high $$$. The price difference would certainly make me look at rolling
> my own.

The main problem with using mains frequency fluorescent lamps is that since the
phosphorescent materials have a relatively short persistence so the light output isn't
relatively continuous like tungsten lamps, it flickers. This can send some camera
meters crazy, my LX and E-10 are both affected,
we are 50Hz here so the lamps flash 100 times per second. A lot of the commercial
fluorescent light (cold lights) have special high frequency power sources, hence the
often high costs.

Cheers,

 Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA