I wondered if you would ask that as I typed the email.

As I said, once you have used the 77, you will feel nothing else does
justice to your portraits.  The 24-90, which IMO is one of the best
zooms ever made optically and me equal second favourite lens(along with
the FA*24f2), does not compare to the 77 at all either optically or in
terms of build.  Of course it does have the added ability to do other
focal lengths.  The only problem with the 77 is that sometimes I cant
back up enough to get the shots I want in smaller rooms.