>> definition only uses a few focal lengths--no zooms, nothing over
>> 135mm if that, no macro (no, the DR doesn't count <s>).

> I've found myself more and more using only a 35mm and 85/90mm lens.

Well, this post ~is~ about a zoom, but it responds to your point,
Bob.  I've been using the ol' VS1 35-85/2.8 a lot lately, and I've
found that I haven't been feeling as "constrained" by the ends of
the 35mm to 85mm FL range as much as I thought I would.  (On the
other hand, I did more often find using the A 35-70/4 to be
annoyingly "restrictive".)  Nonetheless, and you can call me lazy,
but I'm not likely to leave home with a body with just one prime to
use on it.  (OK, I'm not proud of that...)  <g>

Fred