We have a record set up with the BIND backend as follows:

testing IN CNAME gci-prod-lb-000000000.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com.

When you query it right after a service restart, you get:

[root@gibson ~]# dig @varick.datagram.com testing.domain.com
*;; Warning: Message parser reports malformed message packet.*
;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 <<>> @varick.datagram.com testing.domain.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 264
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;testing.domain.com.         IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
testing.domain.com. 300 IN CNAME gci-prod-lb-000000000.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com.

;; Query time: 2 msec
;; SERVER: 209.131.118.33#53(209.131.118.33)
;; WHEN: Fri Mar  4 17:41:38 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 99

Queries directly after this first query are OK, leading me to believe that once it's in the cache it's able to serve properly which seems strange. Previously we had been serving root referrals with our answers, which had been padding long answers like this to out over the 512 byte UDP limit. I thought that might be the problem, so I turned root referrals off in hopes that it would take care of this but no such luck.

I've tested with the upcoming 3.0 release and the problem seems to be fixed (related to this <http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/changeset/1830> I think), but I need to try and work around this until 3.0 has been officially released. I've turned our query-cache up to 60 in hopes that I'm right about the record being served properly once it's in the cache and that should reduce its occurrence. Are there any other ways to work around this at the moment? And more importantly, do I have the issue identified correctly? I don't want to just be waiting for 3.0 hoping that will fix the problem when really it's something silly I've missed.

Thanks!