Kevin Williams wrote:

All,

I'm working on a project where I have to start up some commands that run
for the life of the computer's up time.  I would like these to start
when the computer boots up, and stop after the computer shuts down
(running Redhat).

What I have to run are pretty simple commands:
1.  multiple perl calls
2.  multiple command tail -f log_file_name | logger local3.info

What I figured I would do would be to create a startup script for the
perl commands and another for the tail commands (shell script that
executes them all).

From my understanding, I will have to have a start, stop, and restart
method (which calls stop and start). The start method I can handle
(simply call the command and append the &), but how do I go about
stopping the bash scripts?

Thanks in advance,

Log the pids as part of your script(s) to a file and loop over them with a kill -9 to halt them?
or assuming your scripts are named uniquely a killall bobjoe.PL ?