Info about subscribing or unsubscribing from this list is at the bottom of this
message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://snipr.com/1oapf

Kucinich rips Edwards on debate remarks
By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer
Sat Jul 14, 12:09 AM ET

An angry Dennis Kucinich lashed out at John Edwards on Friday, saying his
Democratic rival showed "a consistent lack of integrity" by suggesting
fewer candidates should participate in presidential forums and then trying
to explain his remark to reporters.

"This is a serious matter and I'm calling him on it," Kucinich, an Ohio
congressman, said in a telephone interview Friday. "Whispering, trying to
rig an election, then denying what's going on and making excuses. It all
reflects a consistent lack of integrity."

Kucinich's comments came after Edwards and Hillary Rodham Clinton were
overheard Thursday discussing the possibility of limiting the number of
participants in future presidential forums.

In an exchange captured on camera and open microphone by broadcasters
after an NAACP forum in Detroit, Edwards approached Clinton onstage and
whispered in her ear.

"We should try to have a more serious and a smaller group," Edwards said,
and Clinton agreed.

"Our guys should talk," Clinton said, complaining the format had
"trivialized" the discussion.

Kucinich, who typically polls in the low single digits, clearly felt the
slight was directed at him. All eight Democratic contenders took part in
the program, including Barack Obama, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Joe
Biden, Mike Gravel and Kucinich.

Later Friday, Kucinich sent letters to both Clinton and Edwards
challenging them to one-on-one debates, the Kucinich campaign said.

"If you are truly seeking debates where there are fewer participants and
where there is more meaningful and serious discourse, this is a great
opportunity for us to join together in an open discussion on behalf of the
American people," the letter said.

Both Edwards and Clinton were asked about the exchange Friday, and offered
different explanations.

In New Hampshire, Clinton seemed to lay responsibility on Edwards.

"I think he has some ideas about what he'd like to do," she said, adding
she liked participating in the forums.

For his part, Edwards told reporters in Iowa that he wasn't in favor of
barring anyone from future gatherings. Rather, he said he wanted to see
them separated into two groups of four each, chosen randomly.

"The result would be that we would have a much more serious discussion and
people would actually be able to see what the differences are between us,"
he said.

Kucinich called Edwards' explanation "disturbing" and said he planned to
contact Edwards and Clinton immediately to demand an apology.

"I accept their offer to participate in a debate with just the two of
them," Kucinich said. "John should be happy with this, since he wants a
small group."

Kucinich's bitterness toward Edwards was somewhat ironic, given the boost
he gave Edwards in Iowa when they were both running for president in 2004.

Kucinich, who is very popular with a small but ardent group of liberal
activists, asked his Iowa supporters to back Edwards if they didn't meet
voting thresholds in any of the state's precincts. That effort increased
Edwards' final delegate count in the state, putting Edwards within
striking distance of winning the caucuses that year.

___

Associated Press writers Amy Lorentzen in Humboldt, Iowa, Holly Ramer in
Manchester, N.H., and Nedra Pickler in Washington contributed to this
report.
web address to view the list's archives or to unsubscribe.

E-mail accounts that become full, inactive or out of order for more than a few
days will become disabled or deleted from this list.

FAIR USE NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
information in this e-mail is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational
purposes.  I am making such material available in an effort to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair
use' of copyrighted material as provided for in the US Copyright Law.