Hi Mike,

I believe that it might be good first to consider this issue in the framework of epistemology as it would be nice first to understand how physics is working. I doubt that Markov blankets will help in this respect.

By Søren Brier there once was a nice picture of "The Cybersemiotics Star". Unfortunately, his site is down but I have found this picture in his paper - see the end of the paper:

Brier S. Can Cybersemiotics Solve the Problem of Informational Transdisciplinarity? Proceedings. 2017; 1(3):196.

https://www.mdpi.com/2504-3900/1/3/196

There are four rays that correspond to Matter/Energy, Living System, Experiential Consciousness, and Social Meaning. I should confess that I could not follow Brier's interpretation of Pierce's ideas but in my interpretation, we do not know how to combine all four rays in the single ray of the development.

Best wishes,

Evgenii

Am 01.10.2026 um 06:47 schrieb Michael K Bergman:
Hi Evgenii,

Your candle analysis is fascinating and I appreciate your exploration of the physical, phenomenological, and physical laws. I can see how this thread caught your attention and interest in learning more about Peirce's possible take on these questions.

Almost universally you will hear that Peirce's emphasis on signs is a good lens for interpreting his thoughts on how to view the world. But, as in the case of your candle example, I think that is not yet the deep enough level to understand how Peirce might provide insight to your questions. I would start more fundamentally, with his universal categories of Firstness, Secondness and Thirdness.

To see things in this light -- which extends from possibilities and qualia, through actual physical things and relations, to ideas, abstractions and concepts -- needs an understanding of "things" and "concepts" that are more akin to Markov blankets [1] than to actual physical boundaries or membranes. There is an internal aspect of the thing, an external aspect of the thing, and then a boundary that plays an interesting role of mediating between the two.

Driving the analysis down to the fundamental level of the universal categories leads to an interesting interface between the potential and the actual, which is, in essence, a Markov blanket between Firstness and Secondness. Many Peircean scholars have likened this boundary to explaining the transition from Firstness to Secondness, that is, in your terms, from quantum physics to classical physics.

Peirce's sign metaphors certainly provide a richness of language-based means for understanding (or getting a very meaningful perspective on) the universal categories, but I think you might find the categories themselves a more fruitful target of Peircean inquiry.

Best, Mike

[1] A Markov blanket is the statistical interface that separates a system’s internal states from external states. Conditioned on the blanket, the two sides are independent. Karl Friston treats that partition as the thing that lets a system persist, self-evidence, and look as if it is doing active Bayesian inference. Michael Levin uses the same construct for the scale-free “computational surface” of a self—from cells and tissues up through organisms—so the boundary of agency is not required to coincide with a crisp membrane. Chris Fields treats the interface as a holographic screen: information exchanged across the boundary is limited in the spirit of the Bekenstein–Hawking / holographic bound. As generalized, a Markov blanket can represent concepts as easily as actual things. The name and the original definition of a Markov blanket come from Judea Pearl’s work, where the basis for bounding something depends on its Bayesian free-energy active- inference. These boundaries are conditional interfaces between the internal and external that have no time, spatial or scale limits. Though never expressed as such, these are very Peircean concepts.

On 9/30/26 05:50, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
List,

I could give you an example to discuss this issue - a burning candle. Recently by using this example, I have discussed sophisticated relationships between theoretical and experimental physics. It could be interesting to analyze this in your terms.

My starting point is Faraday's book "The Chemical History of a Candle" (1861). This is a mixture of theory and experiments at the level of chemistry and continuum mechanics. There are no words about atoms there. Now there is statistical and quantum mechanics and new experiments related to this example. Hence our understanding of what is going on in the burning candle greatly expanded. It gives a good possibility to discuss this development in semiotics terms.

In my paper there are no equations, but general knowledge of physics is still required. Provided there is interest and hence questions, I could answer them here.

Burning Candle and Levels of Organization, 2026, PREPRINTS.ORG, doi:10.20944/preprints202603.0037.v1

Best wishes,

Evgenii Rudnyi


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
► PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON 
PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . 
►  <a href="mailto:[email protected]";>UNSUBSCRIBE FROM PEIRCE-L</a> . 
But, if your subscribed email account is not your default email account, then 
go to
https://list.iu.edu/sympa/signoff/peirce-l .
► PEIRCE-L is owned by THE PEIRCE GROUP;  moderated by Gary Richmond;  and 
co-managed by him and Ben Udell.

Reply via email to