From: Jeffrey Brian Downard [mailto:jeffrey.down...@nau.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:53 PM
To: 'Peirce-L'
Subject: RE: [PEIRCE-L] Chapter 7.2.1 The Proof of Pragmatism &
Phenomenology

Mara, Phyllis, List,

In order to understand the point of the example concerning
transubstantiation, it would help to have a clear target in mind.  One good
candidate is the position Aquinas takes (e.g., in Summa Theologica and The
Quodlibetal Questions).  Once the theses and arguments are made clear, I
suspect that it will be easier to understand the points Peirce is making.
Given the fact that the pragmatic maxim is being used by Peirce to clarify
scientific conceptions, it will help to think of the claims Aquinas is
making as a series of metaphysical assertions.  Aquinas presents the claims
as a development of Aristotle's metaphysics, so that seems fair.  Each of
the assertions about the bread and the body and the wine and blood
illustrate more general principles of how the substantial identity of
existing things can change--and how God can be the cause of those changes.

Here is a short summary of a few key points:

1.  The bread and wine are substantially changed into body and blood.  It is
not a mere symbolic change in terms of what they mean to us.  Rather, the
bread and the wine are themselves quite literally transformed into a new
kind of thing.
2.  This happens through the sacrament delivered by the priest, but Christ
himself is the agent of the change.
3.  When the changes occur, the bread and wine are not moved somewhere else,
and they are not annihilated.  Rather, the form of the bread and wine are
changed into the form of body and blood.
4.  The accidental properties of what they look, smell and taste like do not
change.  That would be repulsive for creatures like us.  Rather, all of the
observable properties stay the same--only the form has changed.

Mara, you ask:  "What about the habit of interpreting wine as becoming the
blood of Christ when in the type of setting, and preceded by the special
type of words spoken by a special type of person?"  Notice that the habit of
how the sacrament is interpreted is not part of Aquinas's explanation of
what really taking place when the sacrament is being delivered.  Insofar as
we are interested in questions about the real nature of the bread and wine
themselves when the sacrament is performed, we are working on the logical
presumption that the real nature of the things is independent of what you,
or I or any other individual happens to think.  This assumption may turn out
to be a poor account of the nature of what is real, but we are starting with
a nominal definition that is based on common sense.

In order to apply the pragmatic maxim, it will help to have some competing
hypotheses.  There are quite a number to pick from.  Aquinas was responding
to an ongoing controversy within the Catholic church, and we understand his
arguments in terms of objections made by the likes of Luther.  Let's keep
things simple.  Let me forward a metaphysical explanation.  One possibility
is that, when the words are uttered, no real changes take place in the bread
and the wine themselves.  The utterance of the words can definitely have an
effect on the people who interpret those words.  Everyone to the debate
accepts that much.  The question is, what is the meaning of saying 1-4
above?  In particular, what is the import of the fourth provision?  Can you
conceive of any test that would separate the explanation Aquinas is offering
from the hypothesis I've ventured to put forth?  Aquinas insists that, as a
matter of principle, there are no observable differences.  If that is part
of his explanation, I can't conceive of any test that would separate the
competing explanations.  Can you?  If we can't, then there is no real
difference in the respective meaning of the competing hypotheses.  That is,
Aquinas is using more words in (4), but he isn't really saying anything
different than what is contained in my hypothesis.  It might appear that,
when we think about the familiar meanings of the words, that there is a
difference, and there is.  What is more, a careful analysis of the meanings
of the conceptions used will show that the conceptions are distinct.  Having
said that, there are no real differences between the hypotheses insofar as
they are considered to be scientific explanations.  Real difference requires
two things:  a conceivable test that could be run, and an observable
difference we would expect to see.

Hope that helps to explain why this is a good example of how we might use
the pragmatic maxim to clarify the meaning of competing metaphysical
hypotheses.

--Jeff

P.S.  There is a nice summary of Aquinas's position in Teresa Whalen's The
Authentic Doctrine of the Eucharist (pp. 12-19) if you want to see more
detail.
Jeff Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy