Jeff K., List,

Smyth is careful to point out that he is only tracing out a few strands in a
much larger cable of arguments.  In addition to the Kantian and neo-Kantian
strands, there are empirically grounded strands (that one might call
naturalistic in flavor) that he does not try to reconstruct.

Having said that, I tend to emphasize the fact that Peirce is primarily
interested in the *necessary* requirements for signs to be meaningful, and for
self-controlled inferences to be valid, and for us to communicate our
interpretations of what will help to realize the ends of inquiry.  In places,
Short emphasizes the kinds of evidence and strands of the argument that do not
bear on these necessary conditions.  This shows up quite prominently in his
interpretation of Peirce's phenomenological account of the categories.

I appreciate the fact that, when it comes to an account of thought, that we can
look at matters from the inside or from the outside.  The Kantian approach to
reading the arguments tends to emphasize the internal point of view, while a
Humean approach leads us to emphasize an external point of view.  When it comes
to understanding Peirce's account of the normative sciences from an external
point of view, I think that he is pointing to significant weaknesses in the
assumptions and arguments that philosophers such as Hume and Mill are making.
In place of such nominalistic assumptions, I think he is offering explanations
that are grounded more robustly in an evolutionary framework, where that
framework is developed on the basis of a set of realist assumptions.  To take
an example, Peirce's externalist account of why induction tends to lead to
convergence is very different from the arguments Hume and Mill have to offer.

My misgivings about reading Peirce's assumptions and arguments from a Humean or
Millean point of view are based on the criticisms he makes in the early
lectures.  Having said that, I think Peirce is remarkable good at finding both
common mistakes in widely divergent points of view (e.g., as widely divergent
as Mill and Kant)--as well as common insights where one might least expect to
find them.

--Jeff

Jeff Downard
Associate Professor