Frank, Gary F., Gary R., list,

When I said that the method of opinion came to seem to me to consist in authority trying to operate in a situation of the method of development of opinion (the _/a priori/_), I meant that it came to seem to be a composite method, a view that you suggest at one point in your post.

At some point I was thinking of associating inference modes with the method, only I did it a little differently. But unlike with other things that I say below, I kept quiet at the time, because I had already discussed the three unscientific methods of inquiry at length.

You associated abductive inference with tenacity; inductive inference with authority; and deductive inference with the _/a priori/_. I 'switched' the partners of the first two.

**Inductive inference and the method of tenacity.** I saw the method of tenacity as involving a kind of misapplication of the method of learning (not necessarily cognitive inquiry) by practice and repetition, which is first of all a method of learning how to do things skillfully (practice makes perfect). One keeps repeating one's opinion, as if to do so were a gradual induction in support of it. But it's a willful induction indeed. The opinion itself may be generated by any means, as long as it is one's first opinion on the given subject, since to the extent that the opinion is not initial, the method is not a method of persistence, repetition, willful inertia.

**Abductive inference and the method of authority/contest.** I had seen method of authority as a species or phase of a method of struggle or contest or vying, a phase such that one side becomes dominant. The method of contest involves a kind of misapplication of the learning method of trial and error (and variation), which is first of all a method of learning how to struggle and develop character. In this mis-application, one tries to impose one's opinion, as if to do so were an abductive inference producing it ("I'm right because I'm gonna win!") - an abductive inference is, after all, itself a kind of experimental trial, testing a presupposition of one's capacity to guess; in the method of contest, the test really is of one's capacity to win, but the winner's opinion wins too on the view that _/might makes right/_. In the authoritarian phase, most have joined, or acquiesced to, the winning side. But the winner's might, even when not kinetically active, remains in place, holding others down. The 'might' may be any kind of what the anthropologists have called 'mana' - political and martial strength, wealth (funding etc.), glory and charisma, and status. The opinion itself may have originally been reached by whatever means.

**Deductive inference and the method of _**/a priori/**_.** Before this thread, I thought of the method of _/a priori/_ as the method of contest/authority of glamour, charisma, etc., but now I think that at most they intersect. In the method of a priori, an opinion is adopted, not because it is the most popular or glamorous or hip opinion, but because it is indeed to one's taste. It is a kind of mis-application of the learning method of appreciation and emulation, better known as 'identification and imitation', which is first of all a method of learning to value and developing sensibiity. The opinion represents some values that one likes or admires, or is the opinion of some figure whose values one likes or admires, and adopts. It's not necessarily one's first opinion, instead it is, if anything, one's latest opinion (not necessrily one's last and final opinion), one's personal fad; this is the most hedonistic method, in which opinion is not a weapon or a means, but a culminal pleasure itself, in virtue of its content. That is, the method focuses on _/telos/_ as culmination and ignores entelechy. Still, the shift of the apriori-arrived opinion may be slow in time; and while it is personal, it is also social, insofar as it involves freely chosen self-herding and emulation not only of idealized models but of actual people. Peirce does discuss it in terms of the development of intellectual fashion and taste of the public, not just of the individual; and there may be fashion leaders and fashion followers. One selects the opinion from among the various opinions on offer at the buffet of the currents of thought. From its pleasantness and agreeability, one infers as if by deduction its truth; or more precisely one likes and expresses it as if the liking and expressing were a deduction, a necessary inference, compelled not by authority or tenacity but by the current of one's thought. It fits with one's other likings and is 'agreeable to reason.'

Well, I gave it a try.

Best, Ben