Helmut wrote: The singular-plural thing I was wondering about, is, that
according to Peirce, the immediate object ist the (one) object as represented
in the sign. But I feel, that one representamen can represent (call) eg. three
memory contents: quality, entity, possible relations between both. Perhaps my
irritation is based on my identifying "called memory content" with "object",
but the object (singular) would rather be the three called memory contents as
picked up and brought together by the representamen.

Phyllis responds:

Dear Helmut, I suspect that you must be coming from a linguistics focus. I
spent several hours yesterday with two young linguistics graduates whose
training had taught them to collapse qualities & entities into things and call
them all things without differentiation and to identify them with "memory
content(s)." They, too, argued that one representamen could be three things,
each "thing" being qualities or entities, but merely labeled as memory content.

I do not see the advantage to semiotic research & development in collapsing the
three into the one term, and labeling it all undifferentiated "memory content",
without acknowledging the quality, thing (entity), relationship triad. It seems
as though the simplification of the terminology of semiotic structure could
lead to difficulty analyzing/interpreting structural and operational meaning.

Regards,
Phyllis Chiasson

Phyllis Chiasson <ath...@olympus.net> wrote:

Yes, I think it would be more correct from Peirce's perspective to say that
green is a quality (property, characteristic) of some frogs. Qualities may (or
likely do) relate to the physical properties of humans in some way, but
Peirce's semiotic is normative, logically objective and not dependent upon
human minds. It's both the whole of formal logic and the lead of formal logic,
as speculative grammar.

The late semiotician, Thomas Sebock developed a thoroughgoing "semiotic web"
that is shown in diagrammatic form in John Deeley's intro to the book
"FRONTIERS IN SEMIOTICS." I find that diagram and Deeley's introduction to this
book as a very useful overview for understanding/explaining the breadth/depth
of Peircean semiotics (and its contrast with de Saussure).

Regards, Phyllis Chiasson

Helmut Raulien <h.raul...@gmx.de> wrote:

(oops, ok, not klick answer, but fill in peirce list adress)

So would it be better not to say, the name of the object is "green", but:
"Green is a quality things can have"? This would be a memory content, and I
assume, that memory contents are parts of the form of a human (possible
objects): They have their limited space somewhere (in the cortex), but are
permanent in time. Behaviour parts (possible representamens) are limited in
time (like an impulse), but have no spatial limits in the system of
interpretance: Like the sighting of a green frog.

Phyllis Chiasson <ath...@olympus.net> wrote:

Can a quality be an object? Or is an object a relationship between a quality
(or qualities) and a thing?

Helmut Raulien <h.raul...@gmx.de> wrote:

Dear Peircers, I think, there is one assumption that hinders the understanding
of semiotics: The triad of representamen-object-interpretant suggests, that
there be only one object implied. I think that this is not so. In one semiosis,
there are most likely more than one objects involved. Example: Representamen
being the sighting of a green frog. You being a young child, who knows a frog
from a black-and-white sketch in a fairy tale book. Also you know colours. One
object is "frog", the other is "green", the third is the concept you already
have about relations between attitude and entity, namely: "A sighted trait
might be typical for the sighted thing". This third object is also called by
the representamen, because the representamen is carrying with it a trait
(green) and a frog. Now the representamen fits to these three objects, and in
an abductive process of your mind, a new object is created: "possibly all frogs
are green". This object is (by induction) strenghened by the subsequent
sighting of some more green frogs. But then you spot a red frog, and you have a
deduction: The object is inverted: "possibly all frogs are green" is deleted
and replaced by: "Not all frogs are green". The object "A sighted trait might
be typical for the sighted thing" is slightly weakened. Well, thats how I
assume, thinking works, dont you think so? A reflexive process always implies
abduction, induction and deduction, and at least abduction requires more than
one object. Now dont say, that the green frog is the one object: He is long
gone, diven into the water, as you are still thinking about it, dont you? Best,
Helmut ----------------------------- PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply
List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts
should go to peirce-L@list.iupui.edu . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to
BODY of the message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .