List,

One of the unintended effects of the recent seminar on Kees' book has been
an apparent renewed interest in doing more of this kind of close reading of
texts. For example, there appears to be a keen interest by several here,
including me since I've begun reading it, of reflecting critically on
Frederik Stjernfelt's *Natural Propositions*, a work I believe to be as
important as Gary Furhman recently suggested that it is. However, from past
experience I believe that *that *particular slow read will take some
preparation, and because the Centennial Congress is rapidly approaching, I
am suggesting to those interested that we hold off reflecting on *Natural
Propositions* until after the Lowell Congress. (I would, however, suggest
that those who might be interested in participating in that discussion to
purchase Stjernfelt's books, at a very reasonable price, as Gary noted.)

Meanwhile, several weeks ago Stephen Rose approached me off-list about the
possibility of beginning a thread on his *Triadic Philosophy*, and
following a recent exchange of emails Stephen has come up with an approach
to doing this which makes good sense to me.

As most here know, I am a strong advocate for Peirce's three universal
categories, especially when they are considered in genuine triadic
relations involving all three categorial elements, and most especially
those involving the six possible paths through a genuine triadic relations
(categorial vectors). Since Stephen's triadic terms are sometimes very
different from Peirce's (for prime example, his aesthetics/ethics/reality
vs. Peirce's esthetics/ethics/logic), I think it is best that he himself
introduce what he hopes to accomplish in this thread, including an early
discussion of the similarities and differences of his and Peirce's approach
to triadic thinking.Why is a triadic philosophy other than Peirce's
important in his view? How are we to consider Stephen's theory in light of
Peirce's tricategorial one and vice versa?

Having said that, I think such a discussion has the potential to be
important in that it has both the potential to correct and/or further
Stephen's philosophical thinking on the matter, as well as helping to hone
the triadic understandings of those who subscribe to Peirce's quite
different views involving the categories.

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*