On Jul 7, 2014, at 1:31 AM, Gary Moore <[email protected]> wrote:

> "...the sign enables a shift of denotation in language due to connotation. 
> Eco plays this up via an analysis of the type/token issue that arises out of 
> Peirce. For Derrida, who in many places Eco follows, the key issue is what 
> gets replicated in language. The type, the token, or the relationship between 
> the two. This type/token issue to my eyes seems key in language and is still 
> one area where I don’t think philosophers have made much progress - partially 
> due to not seeing this as an issue."
> 
> -x-
> GCM: The final issue is taken up by John F. Boler & Eco:

Yeah. I’m just not convinced by Eco here which is why I mentioned there’s not a 
lot of progress. Eco talks about it in passing in a few of his books as well. 
I’ll try to make some more thoughtful comments later - hopefully tonight. 
Although I have to confess that while this was once a major topic of 
investigation for me it’s been quite a few years since I really engaged with 
it. I must say that while I love reading Eco (although his fiction I thought 
never was really that great after Name of the Rose and Foucault’s Pendulum) I 
find him most useful for questions and thinking issues. I don’t always like the 
way he attempts to answer things. Still his The Search for the Perfect Language 
is one book I recommend to everyone regardless of technical background. It’s 
such a great intro the the history of the philosophy of language as well as 
several other intellectual lines in the history of European thought.


-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to