JEFFREY WROTE: How can the examples of measuring silk against a yardstick,
comparing biological specimens to a “type-specimen”, and comparing the weight
of carbon and gold to hydrogen help us think more clearly about the grounds we
having for comparing arguments and saying that one class contains a sample of
good inferences and that another class contains a sample of bad inferences. In
making such comparisons, we need something more than just a nominal assignment
of the term ‘good’ to one class and ‘bad’ to another. Having said that, don’t
we need more than an ordinal scale that enables us to make relative comparisons
of goodness and badness? How might we arrive in our theory of logic at a
standard of measuring the validity of inferences that is richer than a nominal
or ordinal scale? After all, we are relying on our standards for comparing
arguments for the sake of arriving at conclusions about what, really, is true
and false.
++++++
Me:

Jeffery,
I enjoyed reading your post. It is thorough and poses some interesting issues.
As for the snippet above, it seems to me that in-depth teleological analysis,
a logic of purpose, is what is Peirce calls for (in his Methodeutic at least)
to accomplish what you describe there. For "what, really, is true and false"
depends only secondarily upon what something is true or false "about" and
primarily upon the purpose is for making such a determination in the first
place. This determination engages inferences as well.

Meno Hulswit (sp?) describes what he calls a "developmental teleology," which
to me resembles the "away from" direction of an abductive inference, following
(as abduction is wont to do), a reticulated (web-like) pattern that is
difficult, if even possible, to reverse engineer, especially once the purpose
has been thoroughly developed and then stated as a purpose. Of course, one can
apprehend purposes by other means: direct replication, reexamination,
development of an existing thing or idea.

However, for the inquirer seeking to determine "what, really, is true and
false," each of the ways of determining purpose (which resemble different ways
of making inferences) frames WHETHER or HOW true or false a given inference
might be. Thus, it seems to me that an inquirer seeking to measure the
truth/falsity of an inference, would need to take special care in the
formulation and analysis of purpose and include the generic SORT of purpose (
replicative, review, development of existant, reticulated exploration, etc) in
whatever argument is framed for or against an issue, perhaps even including
situations for which truth and falisity might be reversed, or might not even
apply.

Regards,
Phyllis Chiasson