Gary asked: Are you saying that you see him changing his mind yet again in that
regard, Phyllis?

I'm not sure. Since deduction produces necessary results, it seems a little
like brute actuality to me. Also, hasn't the later Peirce always ascribed
generalization to induction of all kinds (universal propositions as crude;
qualitative & quantitative as gradual)? So, Hypothesis = 1st, deduction as
explicatation/demonstration= 2nd, and Induction as classification, testing,
verification (which seems like a generalizing process to me) = 3rd. Of course,
the collapse of a universal proposition is a second, but I think that would be
because the collapse is a necessary because the proposition (premise, etc) no
longer holds. Not because it was inductively derived.

Of course, you're correct that I'm thinking of inferences for inquiry
(methodeutic) rather than
Regards,
Phyllis