Thanks for getting this thread started, Frederik. I hope the discussion of
"anti-psychologism" (due to start next week, led by Jeff Kasser) will help
to resolve some of the past debates we've had on the biosemiotics list about
the relationship between logic and psychology.

One comment I'd like to add to your introduction here: several members of
this list have incorporated the terms icon, index and symbol, used in a more
or less Peircean way, into their biophysical evolutionary and origin-of-life
theories. But they have had little or no use for Peirce's other two sign
trichotomies, and often use that first trichotomy in an exclusive sense, as
if a given sign had to fit into one (and only one) of those types. I think
your book will change all that, showing as it does a dicisign - that is, a
sign complete enough to be true - must involve both iconic and indexical
components, but does not have to be symbolic. But a really basic
introduction to the other basic sign types might be useful at this stage,
for those who aren't familiar with them.

Icon/index/symbol is the trichotomy of signs according to their relations to
their objects, and probably needs no introduction here.

The trichotomy according to the mode of being of the sign itself is
qualisign/sinsign/legisign (Peirce experimented with other names for them,
but these are the most widely used). A qualisign is a quality that is a
sign; a sinsign is an existing thing or actual event that functions as a
sign; a legisign is a law (such as a law of nature, a rule or a habit) that
functions as a sign, mostly by governing actual occurrences.

The other trichotomy is according to the sign's relation to its
interpretant, and was recognized in traditional logic as
term/proposition/argument - an argument being a sequence of propositions,
and a proposition a combination of terms. But traditional logic was hampered
by its close connection to language and the grammar of languages. It was to
escape this limitation that Peirce generalized those concepts (as you aptly
put it) to create the trichotomy rheme/dicisign/argument. Thus the new term
dicisign was crucial for Peirce's explanation of cognitive semiosis as more
basic than either human thinking or language (and therefore basic to both).
I won't go into this further until we get to Chapter 3, but I thought it
would be best to set the stage now.

gary f.