Dear sirs,
This short note about the divergent opinions of two imminent authors on the
Peirce list leaves me frustrated. I tried to go through the communications to
find the conversation referred to and could not. I think it is important, here,
for this area to be clearly spelled out even for ignorant non-peirceans such as
I. While I do not disagree with the forms of non-cognizant 'communication'
discussed, none the less "non-cognizant communication" carries a tone of total
contradiction in normal discourse about it. And the frequent & unusual uses of
"pan" necessarily are tagged in the long run, despite fascinating discussions
in detail that are logically valid, as 'mystical' and seem in the long haul in
outsider discourse to actually disregard Peirce's ULTIMATE secondness, if that
is correct, of "brute action", "force", the ultimate criteria of any kind of
validity as in "Does it work?" I am getting Stjernfelt's book to see how his
argument ties in - pro or con -
 with Umberto Eco's "lines of resistance" (FROM THE TREE, p. 584, "the World
always presents us with something that is ALREADY GIVEN and not POSITED by us.
What is ALREADY GIVEN are precisely the lines of resistance." [emphasis Eco's])
and Kant's schematism (Eco's "figuring", Stjernfelt's "diagrammatology"). I
'think' undeniable and unavoidable limits of basic, plain ontology are being
equivocated here - in my ignorance - between John N. Deely and Frederik
Stjernfelt where I am unable to accurately attribute in plain, normal language
who straightly says Peirce's "brute action" or "force" that (Eco) "Habermas, in
seeking to identify the kernel of Peirce's criticism of Kant's thing-in-itself,
stresses the fact that Peirce's problem is NOT [my emphasis] saying that
something (hidden behind the appearances that aspire to mirror it) has, like a
mirror, a reverse side that eludes reflection, a side that we are almost
certain to discover one day [GCM ?], so
 long as we can circumvent the figure that we SEE [my emphasis]: the fact is
that reality imposes restrictions on our knowledge only in the sense that IT
DOES NOT PERMIT FALSE INTERPRETATIONS [my emphasis] (Jurgen Habermas, "Peirce
and Communication" in Kenneth Ketner, PEIRCE AND CONTEMPORARY THOUGHT, Fordham,
1995, p. 251)", FROM THE TREE, pp. 583-4. This unknown thing-in-itself has the
same utter negativity as Plato's and Aristotle's "matter" that would seem to be
necessary in the vertical scheme of logic in both ancient philosophers that, if
I remember right, Frederik Stjernfelt wants to archeologize.

Truly,
Gary C. Moore

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 6:46 PM, Frederik Stjernfelt <stj...@hum.ku.dk>