Dear Gary, list

The basic difference is whether there are non-trivial semiotic processes going
on in non-biological world or not. John and others think there are, whether to
be categorized as "pan-semiotics" or "physio-semiotics". I and others think
there are not, preferring to say that semiotics proper begins with biology. For
the support of the latter position I cite the observation that signs are rarely
quoted in physics as being part of the object of that science, while all levels
of biology refer to sign processes studied - most often by spontaneous
terminology like "genetic code" etc.

I think the "lines of resistance" which Eco speaks about belong to another
discussion, namely that between European structuralism and Peircean semiotics.
The former maintained the world is an amorphous mass before the imposition on
it of semiotic structure; the latter, as you know, is realist and refuses such
semiotic idealism. Eco's  "lines of resistance" is his way of introducing
Peircean realism in idealist structuralism. But the "brute action" of
secondness could not exhaust those "lines of resistance", because physical
laws, due to their generality, are thirdnesses - forming part of those lines of
resistance as well. In Peirce such laws are not products of sciences but part
of reality.

Best

Den 05/09/2014 kl. 10.08 skrev Gary Moore